I've been injured in a car accident, now what?

One inherent risk of driving on our roads is the possibility of having an accident. Although they happen daily, the majority of people do not end up with injuries that require treatment. However, if there are aches and pains that do not appear to be resolving or improving week to week, or if you’re having difficulty returning to work and other activities of daily living, it’s best to seek out a physiotherapist for an assessment.

Physiotherapy, Massage Therapy, Chiropractic

If you are injured in a car accident, you are entitled to physiotherapy treatment whether you are at fault or not.

You do not need a referral; you can access a physiotherapist directly. During your assessment, you and your therapist can discuss the circumstances around the injury, go through a thorough examination, and determine a diagnosis and a plan of care. Further, you will be provided education, advice, and movement strategies to keep your injury on the path to recovery. Many of these injuries have a two to three-month recovery time, so patience, perseverance, and a bit of work is required.

If you have coverage through ICBC, you may begin physiotherapy treatment immediately after you report your claim to ICBC. For your first visit be sure to bring your ICBC claim number which is required for the clinic to bill ICBC through the online teleplan. Additionally, all clinics have a co-pay or user-fee associated for each treatment, which means the patient is responsible for paying for part of the treatment. Be sure to ask your adjuster if and when you will be reimbursed for the the user-fees.

Sean Overin, Physiotherapist

By Sean Overin, Physiotherapist

InjuryRiley Webster